that?" I thought. I noticed a small puddle on the floor and
wiped it up with the dish towel. Then I realized the
refrigerator was either incontinent or water was leaking from
repairman told me the line to the icemaker had broken but the
problem was caused by a valve in the plumbing. "Call a
plumber," he advised. Plumbers always want to cut holes in
the wall, I though. After the plumber came and cut the
obligatory hole, the refrigerator guy came back and fixed the
fridge that had nothing wrong with it.
that takes care of that." The damage to the floor wasn’t
that bad and was mostly behind the refrigerator. Little
did I know that what was visible was only the tip of the
iceberg. The water had not stayed on the surface,
but most of it was underneath the hardwood floor.
about a week, I noticed a bump in the floor. "What’s
wrong with this floor?" the kids asked. It was water
warping the wood. "Maybe it will go away," I hoped.
But it didn’t. It grew worse and soon another bump appeared in
front of the refrigerator.
I explained the problem to a contractor, he suggested I contact
my homeowner’s insurance. "This must be bad!" The
bumps continued to swell until they exploded and the floor
cracked open. My kitchen floor had more waves in it than a
came and my kitchen furniture was moved to the garage. The
kitchen floor came out with a crowbar and three hot fans and a
massive dehumidifier were the new décor.
bedrooms were sealed with floor to ceiling sheets of plastic
which were supposed to keep the heat and noise down, but
didn’t help much. The plastic had a zipper like a tent door,
which was a good thing as we were starting to get hungry. My
kitchen was a hot swirling whirlwind of sawdust and dirt blown
around by the fans. Cooking was impossible as the refrigerator
was now in front of the stove, a good excuse to eat out.
could watch television in the sealed plastic annex we used to
call the living room, but the roaring inferno in the kitchen was
so loud we couldn’t hear it. We turned on the closed
captioning function of the TV. The heat was unbearable and even
though we left the air conditioner on, it didn’t seem to help
the second day the house was 82 degrees. It was cooler outside
than inside. We turned off the air conditioner and opened the
windows. I moved to the bedroom. I decided I would camp there
with the ceiling fan on and the windows open until this was
over. After three long days, the house was declared dry and the
fans and plastic tents removed.
trying to cool the overheated house had caused my air
conditioning to have a nervous breakdown as it was not working.
I later found it was something about the fan not running and the
compressor shutting down. I never did really understand.
I am left with no floor, a broken air conditioning, a hole in
the wall, and an inch of dust on everything. Tomorrow the new
contractor comes to reinstall the floor and the sawing and
hammering begins again.
can hardly wait.